Snow King Mountain sits on Jackson’s southeast boundaries.
By the early 1900s skiing was established as a way to get around the valley during the long winter months. As transportation improved, skiing changed from a necessity to winter recreation.The hill now known as Snow King offered an ideal location for skiing. It was conveniently located right in town, and its lower slopes were sparsely forested due to a forest fire in 1879, making skiing down viable – if not exactly easy.Starting in the 1920s, skiers began hiking up the mountain – sometimes called Kelly’s Hill or simply “the town hill”- and enjoying the steep downhill run.
In 1936, the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) constructed a horse and hiking trail to the top of Snow King for the Forest Service, thus making the first of many physical changes to the hill to facilitate its use for recreation. The CCC trail became the first “official” ski run on the mountain.The following year, mountaineer and skier Fred Brown helped to form the Jackson Hole Ski Association which launched a national campaign to promote skiing in Jackson Hole. Among the events promoted by Brown and his colleagues were a demonstration of the latest techniques and equipment by the Dartmouth College ski team, and “ski circuses” – entertainment on skis put on by a local group called the “Hoback Boys” who performed in cowboy garb. Snow King Mountain has the steepest north facing FIS race course in the lower 48, making for challenging terrain, even for the seasoned skier. A majority of the lower mountain is green and blue terrain. Skiing is serviced by three chairlifts; Summit,Cougar and Rafferty.
Categories: Interesting Stuff